Swimming

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Perth sky

Peonies

Peonies

Peonies

Peonies

Peonies

Perth sky

This is the first day
when everything is possible,

Time is at my command
rather than carelessly running ahead,

I am caught in Utopia:
a nowhere space, in-between,

Once the magic number of the first
elapses, time will resume,

But for now, I am weightless,
free to watch

The sky changing colour
to match the slowly fading

Flowers on my table, their
perfume growing stronger

And moulding into a stink,
a whiff of their decaying

Beauty is echoed midwater
in the seaweed and the salt engulfing my

Body in a new year embrace
that seeks to perversely evade

The presence of decay, and time,
and space,

And the necessity of the
second day

When the newness fades and
I return to my body’s place

In the world, where I want too
much, expect too much and

Grasp for so much in the
next 364 days of the year.

* * *

Happy New Year, I hope we swim gently through this year.

I leave you with words wiser than my own, from Monica Dickens’ Mariana:

When you were born, you were given a trust of individuality that you were bound to preserve. The things that happened in your life, however closely connected with other people, developed and strengthened that individuality. You become a person.

To become a person? Sounds like a plan.

14 comments:

laura // BOOKM▲▲RKS said...

lovely poem! happy new year hila!!

Sam | ashore said...

Hila, I've carried last year's This Year poem in my mind on many mornings when I get ready. Standing infront of my dresser: "rather than relentless mental list-making, a few seconds of smelling my perfume."

this one is so special and poignant for this day when I am "weightless, free to watch the sky"

Happy New Year!

Rambling Tart said...

So beautiful, Hila. "Swimming gently" - that is such wonderful imagery. I will hold onto that. Happy New Year!

Amelia said...

OH! Such a lovely poem Hila!

Yes, to become a person sounds like a very good plan!

Jane Flanagan said...

Happy New Year, Hila! I hope for wonderful things for you in 2013.

hungryandfrozen said...

Happy new year, Hila! I love the poem and I love the images with it. <3

Teresa said...

Happy new year Hila!
I hope we "swim gently" through this year too.

Mariella said...

Beautiful poem Hila and beautiful final words...to become a person definitely sounds like a plan, isn't it what life is all about after all? Happy 2013 to you too!

rachel said...

Happy New Year, Hila. I wish you all the best!

rooth said...

Happy 2013 to you Hila and may this year bring you health, happiness and all the joy in the world :)

Looking Glass said...

A beautiful poem & such a perfect quote. I too hope to swim gently through 2013. Happy New Year!

Clare x

Hila said...

Laura: You too lovely Laura!

Sam: That's so nice to hear, happy new year to you too.

Krista: Let's hope my words prove true!

Amelia: Yep, that's the plan ...

Jane: I hope for them for you too, Jane.

Laura: Thanks!

Teresa: Let's hope :)

Mariella: Thank you, and yes, that's what life's about.

Rachel: Thank you!

Rooth: Same to you :)

Clare: Thanks!

Debie Grace said...

May 2013 be full of happiness and things that make us the better version of ourselves. ;)

Hila said...

Debie Grace: Let's hope!