A Few Things

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Peonies

One more gratuitous flower photo to add to my previous post, because peonies really are rather beautiful (I took so many photos of them).

I have a few other random bits and pieces I’ve been meaning to share:

Kindred Magazine

I contributed an essay to the first issue of Kindred magazine, based on the theme of ‘Home’. You can pick up a copy here. I’m interested to see how this magazine will develop. All I can say from my own experience in submitting my work to them (pretty much on a whim), is that they have been quite professional to deal with. So if you’d like to send your own writing, this is their submission page. I’m determined that 2013 will be the year when I try to submit my work to various publications more often.

Handpainted by my mum, Orna Shachar

Handpainted by my mum, Orna Shachar

Handpainted by my mum, Orna Shachar

Handpainted by my mum, Orna Shachar

More flowers, hand-painted by my mum. Before Christmas, I asked my mum to paint two special plaques for Jane and Gracia & Louise, based on their favourite colours. They turned out quite beautifully, and have since arrived safely to their new homes.

I’ve been meaning to add a comment policy to my blog for a long time, and I’ve finally done it now. It’s pretty straightforward.

And lastly, I have a question for anyone who happens to be reading this. Since I’ll be in Israel in May, and going to a family reunion and wedding, I’d like to buy a new camera to travel with. I’m looking for any advice about a good point-and-shoot digital camera, as my current one is not the best. If there is a specific model you can recommend me, do share.

Many thanks!

14 comments:

rooth said...

Congrats on the essay contribution. Your resolution for 2013 is a brave one (to me) and I can't wait to see how it plays out throughout the year

Jane Flanagan said...

Thanks again, Hila for the lovely gift!

Sally said...

Congrats on Kindred!

I have a Canon G12 and really enjoy it. It has plenty of manual controls to play with and can take truly beautiful pictures if you're into experimenting (in fact, I still have plenty to learn in that department) - but you can also put it on automatic and trust it to take decent photos on the go. It's simple enough to use that friends can take pics on it while we're out as well.

Sarah Rooftops said...

My compact and bridge cameras are both from the Panasonic Lumix range - I have pretty old models (a TZ6 and an FZ45), but they're fantastic cameras, highly recommended.

Petra said...

a little late, but I wanted to wish you a happy new year nevertheless. hope all your dreams and hopes come true. may 2013 be a wild and wonderful one :)

Teresa said...

I always found Canon's great for point and shoot cameras. I use to have an IXUS and they're small, easy to use and great quality.

If you're looking for something a little 'bigger' then I can recommend the Panasonic Lumix GF range. I have one of those now and it has all the features of a DSLR while being more compact.

Dianne Jacob said...

Love the comment form. It is full of attitude and personality, and it nails the most important subjects.

I rarely subscribe to blogs, but I found yours (through a link to my blog, I believe) recently and I enjoy your writing and thinking, particularly on thorny subjects of interest to bloggers.

Chuck said...

You can never have too many photos of peonies. Or too many peonies in fact. They're not going to be in season here forever, I am very jealous. I was wondering why I hadn't heard of Kindred - first issue, got it. Off to check them out now. I'd like to write for some interesting new places this year too. We'll see what happens, I suppose... x

I'm Jen said...

Hi Hila! It's been a while since I stopped by - happy new year!

I second Theresa above - I swear by my little Canon IXUS for it's clarity and ease of use. And a friend has the Lumix which is the final step in a point-and-shoot before getting into DSLR, so it's really the obvious size and portability factor that differentiates these two great cameras (for your requirements).

If you'd like more specifics, let me know.

Amelia said...

Canon makes good point and shoot cameras - Canon IXUS is from what I heard pretty good. If you want to go semi-pro you can opt for the PEN cameras from Olympus or the Sony ones. They look very cool, smaller than DSLRs but have more functions than a point and shoot.

I was wondering if you could do some posts about how you submit work to magazines (do you have anything written prior or how?) and it would be interesting if you could write about your writing process - I am fairly fascinated by writers and their routines.

Baby By The Sea said...

I can't get over your flower pictures. Wow, so lovely. And the pictures your mom painted are insanely beautiful.
I have a Canon elph powershot that is incredible.
So glad to be in the pages of Kindred with you. xoxo Jenn

Hila said...

Rooth: Not that brave, and kind of what I have to do to be an actual 'writer' :)

Jane: My pleasure Jane!

Sally, Sarah, Teresa and I'm Jen: Thanks for the fantastic camera recommendations!

Petra: It's never too late, and same to you, Petra.

Dianne: One of my editors actually sent me your very informative and useful post on the subject of new FTC rules on writing reviews, affiliations, and sponsored posts, so thanks for writing it. I don't think enough bloggers know about these rules, or if they know, many blindly disregard them. I think that's unethical, so I appreciate someone like you bringing these issues to light.

Chuck: I totally agree, they're so beautiful (and fragrant).

Amelia: Thanks Amelia! And I'm not sure if I'm the best person to write an advice post on how to submit, since my experience is limited compared to others. But I'll think about it, since you asked.

Jenn: nice to meet a fellow contributor!

Gracia said...

I spy something beautiful and familiar. Thank-you Hila and Orna for your generosity and talent. It is a beautiful piece, and the colours are especially wonderful. We have hung the panel near to one of my Mum's early still life paintings and a modified wooden alarm from a tech school that my Dad turned into a frame. Inside the frame, an Indian couple look longingly at one another. A promised photo soon to come. In the meantime, thanks once more.

xo

Hila said...

Gracia: It's a pleasure to give someone like you and Louise such a gift. I look forward to the photo, dying to see!